Story behind Critter Critter Creations
Virginia Warwick grew up in the country and had numerous pets, or "critters" as a child. This relationship with animals and nature has no doubt influenced Virginia's art making and her creation of Critter Critter Creations, an art instruction studio.
Critter Critter Creations first began as a business offering custom pet portraits and also Virginia's own creations in the form of hand pulled linoleum block prints. This satisfied Virginia's aim to provide artistic inspiration for a number of years. It was amazing to see client's appreciation for Virginia's art, but in the past year Virginia decided to change the aim and focus of Critter Critter Creations, now focusing solely on private art instruction. In place of the custom pet portraits and linoleum block prints, you can find her more contemporary and postmodern art here on her companion site.
This shift in focus to private instruction was prompted by Virginia's realization of how impactful one on one art studio instruction is to the lives of the Virginia's students. Not only does one on one instruction provide a contoured learning experience, but instills confidence and inspiration in Virginia's student's art making, which also translates to their daily lives.
But what always underlines Virginia's pedagogy and Critter Critter Creations is creativity, playfulness, and humor, which allows both children, teens and adults to access art and art instruction easily.
Virginia has a wide range of teaching experience, which fueled her passion to offer one on one private art instruction. Her experience is outlined below.
- M.F.A. Rinehart School of Sculpture, Maryland Institute College of Art, 2008
- B.A. University of Maryland, College Park, Studio Art 2005
- Current Art teacher at the Delaplaine Arts Center in Frederick teaching Drawing, Elements of Art, Oil Painting, Collage Creations and Performance Art workshops classes to children, teens and adults.
- Currently teaches virtual workshops in partnership with the Alzheimer's Association Greater Maryland Chapter.
- Former virtual instructor for Aliada Learning, a organization that assists in providing independence for special needs adults.
- Former Adjunct Professor at Frederick Community College teaching Drawing and 2D Design.
- Current Art Teacher at Visarts in Rockville teaching Pet Portraiture workshops and Drawing courses.
- Current Art Teacher teaching and leading Pet Portraiture Wine and Dine nights at Pet Parents, a pet store in Bethesda
- Former Art Teacher at Art With a Heart based in Baltimore, implementing art lessons to at risk youth
- Former Visiting artist at Maryland Institute College of Art giving presentations and leading critiques.
- Former Art Teacher at Kids on Campus at Frederick Community College designing and implementing art lessons to 11-13 year olds.
- Former Teaching Assistant at Maryland Institute College of Art for undergraduate students in the following classes: Introduction to Fibers, Introduction to Wood and Sculptural Forms.
While teaching at FCC, Virginia gained valuable practices in teaching virtually. Below is a lesson that she recorded for a Foundations class at FCC, illustrating how virtual teaching can be an effective method of teaching!